• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Fasting

Maya

Bluelight Crew
Hello fellow Bluelighters,

As some of you may know from my previous posts, I am a sufferer of a long term comedown from what supposed to be MDMA. Through consistent workouts and a very healthy diet, I feel as if I am close to recovery. I am currently on the verge of finding new methods of exercises, natural remedies and healthier ways that will be beneficial to my recovery.

Fasting is usually done through religious purposes and is away of demonstrating faith penitence, and an opportunity for spiritual reflection. It is also a way to express political views and a form of protest. Some people perform fasting to lose weight and some people also believe that fasting can detoxify the body from harmful substances.

I would like to gather some information if any of you Bluelighters have done Fasting in the past. How often did you do it and how crucial it was to your recovery.

I have only done it when I've had to have bloodwork done and I did not enjoy how it gave me a headache, how I would get the effects of low blood sugar, and how I could not eat. I only did it for a day but if you do it make sure you do it correctly and stay hydrated, drink juice, and don't do it for long periods of time like weeks or months at a time.

If you really want to detox your body drink more water, not in excess like you hear about people doing and dying but just stay hydrated I drink about 5-6 glasses of water a day or even more when it's the summer. Drinking green or white tea or tea that has dandelion in it can also help you detox Tazo brand tea makes a cucumber white tea that has dandelion in it.

I've never fasted by completely cutting out all nutrition. My fasts usually consist of vegetable and fruit juices, freshly squeezed, and I either use room temperature produce or let the juice warm to room temp before drinking. When you consume juices at room temp they are instantly absorbed without much energy expenditure in your body, which allows your body to transfer its metabolic activity to other kinds of work like cell repair.

I've also fasted for spiritual reasons, or prior to taking psychedelics. I find that fasting makes my consciousness lighter and less burdened by the material world. It puts me in touch with Divinity far more easily, for some reason.

I was thinking about how my body will react to completely cutting out all nutrition and knowing my body, I don't think it will be able to handle it. Yes I do drink more than 6 glasses a day and I am an avid tea drinker (decaffeinated). I will go by completely eating vegetable and fruit juices as what Foreigner said and go from there.

I do intermitent fasting...I fast for 16 hours per day and eat during an 8 hour window at night. There is a lot of research behind this and personally it keeps me feeling great.

Hey Maya, my kababayan. I regularly fast. When I don't have work or social functions, I take the time out to eat nothing or close to nothing. It gives my digestion a good reset, especially after a series of working lunches in restaurants. I usually drink only water. When I drink juiced fruit, I get cravings towards the savory side. When I feel a bit unwell, fasting sets me straight.

In past years, when my body was out of balance, fasting would make me dizzy. When I achieved some kind of stability in my health, fasting is not a bother at all, and gives me more energy.

My step-dad was talking to me about fasting yesterday. He said he used to do it for health reasons and to learn self-control. I might give it a try at some point, although I've noticed that if I stop eating even for a day I lose weight very fast. I have an extremely high metabolism and I'm wondering if fasting would be a bad idea for me in particular.

Coincidence, thinking about doing a lil' fasting this weekend. No foods/caloric beverages Saturday, and none Sunday till dinner. Will report how it goes. I usually still consume teas/tizanes.

foreigner said:
I find that fasting makes my consciousness lighter and less burdened by the material world. It puts me in touch with Divinity far more easily, for some reason.

I've noticed this as well.

I do intermitent fasting...I fast for 16 hours per day and eat during an 8 hour window at night. There is a lot of research behind this and personally it keeps me feeling great.

Can you show us this research?

Sounds like Ramadan.

I have crones disease and have to fast when I feel a flair up coming on. My rule is if I can't see through it, I can't have it. This means I eat jello, tea, and broth. I usually do this for about four days, and it keeps things under control. LOTS of h20 too, you need to flush out your system. I've been doing this for years, and think even a healthy person should clean out their system every now and than.

I just went without food for about 21 hours with only fizzy water to drink. It went well and I have just enjoyed some dates, noodles and a couple of chapatis with pineapple juice. Anyway, fasting is well worth it, seems like I always overlooked it in the past and was unaware of the benefits.

More fasting soon.

One thing that's important about fasting that many proponents overlook is how you eat after the fast. If you've been fasting for days then you should consider introducing easy-to-process foods after it. If you go from fasting to eating fast food, your body will rebel.